Monday, October 3, 2011

Season of Gratitude

So for tonight's post, I wanted to reflect on this whole process so far.

The one thing that I've really struggled with has been not wanting to repeat myself. When I reflect on the day, I usually dismiss the first few things that come to mind, because I've already written about them, and well, people don't want to read the same thing twice.

At first this little conundrum had me down. I kept thinking, do I really have so few things in my life to be grateful for? But then, as the process went on, my viewpoint changed a bit as well. Instead of having so few things to be grateful for, I began to see it as really appreciating the things that are important to me.

There are a million things I could be grateful for today. I could be grateful for the cooler weather, the returning health to my hip, the beauty of God's creation, the simplicity of Abilene, the grace of God that has brought me here, my wonderful husband, my family, my cat, the list goes on.

But I only want to write about a few of them.

The ones I want to write about are the ones that are truly important to me. I'm grateful for my health, my wonderful husband, and the beauty of God's creation, and that's what I focus on the vast majority of the time. That's what's important to me.

I thought that this whole experiment would allow me to change my outlook and be more positive, and I think it has to some point. However, the greatest change is that it's made me realize what I value and how easy it is to forget what matters.

Tomorrow I will continue with what I'm grateful for, but from now, I'm going to be okay with repeats, because some things are worth celebrating more than once!

No comments:

Post a Comment