Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cara Cara!

Some of you may have seen these little guys before, but I hadn't! I went to the store to get some regular oranges and found that the only ones that were really any good were in one little basket. They looked like regular oranges so I didn't think much of them, until I cut them open! They were red inside!

I thought for a moment I had accidentally gotten grape fruit, but they didn't really look like grapefruit either. They are Cara Caras, a South American navel similar to an orange. The flesh is a nice red color. They have a mild taste, just barely citrus-y. They have a very low acid content and you can tell the difference. It's like eating an light orange. They were really good and we both enjoyed them so I thought I would share them with you.

You can find more information on them here: http://www.sunkist.com/products/cara-cara-oranges.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment