Saturday, May 25, 2013

Book Review: How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?

Book Title: How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
Author: Chris Lutterworth
Illustrator: Lucia Gaggiotti

A Discovery Toys book that teaches kids about food sources. (Click to buy.)

How Did That Get In My Lunchbox? Is a brilliantly illustrated guide to basic food sourcing. The book tells kids the story of how several foods make their way to the supermarket and into their lunchbox. The author tells children how the food goes from farm to plate in simple, easy to understand language.

Discovery Toys suggests this book from ages 5-8 but I think it's never too early to start teaching your littles about where their food comes from. This book not only talks about the plant/animal source of food (i.e. bread from wheat stalks, cheese from cows) but also talks about the people involved, right down to the truck drivers that deliver the food from farms to factories to stores.

We're getting ready to head over to the farmer's market this morning and so Alex and I read this book after his breakfast. He really liked the colorful pages and I liked the rounded book edges as he's starting to grab at the book while I read (bookworm swoon!).

I love this book and think it's great for any child's library, especially if food education is important to you.

I purchased this book on my accord for Alex at a Discovery Toys party. I have not been reimbursed for this review in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment