Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Recipe Review: Poor Man's Lasagna with No Yolk Noodles

So, a long time ago, I had a coupon to get a bag of free No Yolk Noodles. These are egg noodles with no cholesterol and are 99% fat free. I got a package of the dumpling style. Now, I don't know why I got dumpling style (can't remember if they were the only type in the store or if I just really wanted to make dumplings). Long story short, they sat in my pantry for some time and I decided to bite the bullet and make something with them before they go bad.

So, I was looking online, and there I found one of my mom's favorite recipes: Poor Man's Lasagna. This was a really simple version using the No Yolk Noodles dumplings. Here's the recipe:

1 bag No Yolk Noodles dumpling style
2 cans Prego Heart Smart Traditional Italian Sauce
1 pound shredded Mozzarella cheese (2% skim)

Boil the noodles and cook through just like with any pasta. Then, put a layer of noodles on the bottom of the pan. Cover with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Put a second layer of noodles and sauce. Cover top almost completely with cheese.

You can leave it at that, but I added Italian Seasoning and a sprinkle of grated parmesan to the top layer.

Slide in the over and bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese looks baked and some of the noodles start to brown.

One pan makes about 6 servings.
(Nutrition Facts from MyFitnessPal and are only an estimate)
Total Calories: 518
Total Fat: 15 g
Saturated fat: 7.6
Polyun. fat: 1.2 g
Monoun. fat: 5.1 g
Trans fat: 0g
Sodium: 1097.1 mg
Potassium: 713.4 mg
Total Carbs: 64.8 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar 20.5 g
Vit A: 23.9%
Vit C: 6.7%
Calcium: 62.3%
Iron: 17.6%
Here's what I liked about the meal: 
  • Super easy and only used four total dishes: one pot, one pan, strainer, spoon.
  • Vegetarian! Great for serving mixed groups of veggies and non-veggies. You could probably even try it with a vegan cheese-substitute.
  • Low Calories! 518 calories for an italian dish with this much cheese is simply amazing!
Here's what I didn't like:

I didn't like the noodles. They are egg noodles and they taste like eggs. I think it would be possible to get used to the taste of the noodles, but being so used to flour/wheat noodles, they just tasted off. Now, Philip liked it and didn't have a problem with the egg taste, so it could just be my picky taste buds.


No comments:

Post a Comment